The Parish of Itchingfield is South West of Horsham. The Parish incorporates the hamlet of Itchingfield, Barns Green and Bashurst Hill. Up until recently the village school was in Itchingfield, but this has now been boarded up and the children have been moved to a new building in Barns Green. St Nicholas Church is in Itchingfield hamlet.
The Church website has a downloadable burial index and they are currently working on the Baptism and Marriage indexes.
To find out the history of St. Nicolas Church, Itchingfield http://www.stnicolasitchingfield.org.uk/history/
Barns Green is the main Village of the Parish of Itchingfield, where there is the Village Hall, The Village Green, a Sports and Social Club, The Forge, The Queens Head Pub and The Village Shop, as well as an excellent camp site and lakes for fishing – Sumners Ponds.
In 1851 The Queens Head was run by Charles Burdfield and Elizabeth (neeDendy). It had previously been run by Elizabeth’s father John Dendy who lived in Heron Cottage, next door. They rented rooms to the Railway workers and there are many newspaper articles describing the court cases between Charles Burdfield and his “light fingered” customers.
In 2008 the Burdfield’s took on the pub again, until 2015.